On October 8th, Matador Records will celebrate the 25th anniversary of Bardo Pond’s long out-of-print second album and label debut, Amanita, with a newly remastered 2xLP reissue.
Formed in 1991, the Philadelphia-based quintet have spent some thirty years mapping guitar music’s outer limits – dialing into extremes of noise, chaos, and harmony in free-form compositions that now unfurl across 12 full-length records and a near-limitless body of EPs, cassettes, and CD-Rs Record-ed by the lineup of John Gibbons (guitar), Michael Gibbons (guitar), Isobel Sollenberger (voice, flute), Clint Takeda (bass), and Joe Culver (drums), Ama-nita is the place where the band’s spontaneous collective creativity blazed into maturity.
“Amanita was a manifesto of everything we were trying to do,” says Michael Gibbons. It was really a template for everything we did later. We were a real unit – just so creative, just making up riffs. There were songs, but they were still rooted in our free-improv base. We had a beauty, but we also had a really strong impulse to be dissonant.
• BACK IN PRINT FOR THE 25 YEAR ANNIVERSARY
• THE FIRST 2021 RELEASE OF MATADOR’S ONGOING ‘REVISIONIST HISTORY’ CATALOG SERIES
• FEATURING NEW ARTWORK AND PRESSED ONTO DEEP PURPLE VINYL, LIMITED TO AN EDITION OF 1,500
• INCLUDES TWO BONUS TRACKS “CLEAN SWEEP” AND “BRAMBLES,” PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED ON STREAMING SERVICES.
• RARITIES LP AND REPRESSES OF THE REMAINDER OF THE BAND’S MATADOR CATALOG TO BE ANNOUNCED LATER IN 2021
Label: Matador – OLE 1764-LP
Format: 2 x Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Purple
Released: Nov 5, 2021
Style: Psychedelic Rock, Shoegaze
A3 Tantric Porno
B2 The High Frequency
B3 Sometimes Words
B4 Clean Sweep
C1 Yellow Turban
C3 Be A Fish
D1 Tapir Song