On October 8th, Matador Records will celebrate the 25th anniversary of Bardo Pond’s long out-of-print second album and label debut, Amanita, with a newly remastered 2xLP reissue.
Formed in 1991, the Philadelphia-based quintet have spent some thirty years mapping guitar music’s outer limits – dialing into extremes of noise, chaos, and harmony in free-form compositions that now unfurl across 12 full-length records and a near-limitless body of EPs, cassettes, and CD-Rs Record-ed by the lineup of John Gibbons (guitar), Michael Gibbons (guitar), Isobel Sollenberger (voice, flute), Clint Takeda (bass), and Joe Culver (drums), Ama-nita is the place where the band’s spontaneous collective creativity blazed into maturity.
“Amanita was a manifesto of everything we were trying to do,” says Michael Gibbons. It was really a template for everything we did later. We were a real unit – just so creative, just making up riffs. There were songs, but they were still rooted in our free-improv base. We had a beauty, but we also had a really strong impulse to be dissonant.
• BACK IN PRINT FOR THE 25 YEAR ANNIVERSARY
• THE FIRST 2021 RELEASE OF MATADOR’S ONGOING ‘REVISIONIST HISTORY’ CATALOG SERIES
• FEATURING NEW ARTWORK AND PRESSED ONTO DEEP PURPLE VINYL, LIMITED TO AN EDITION OF 1,500
• INCLUDES TWO BONUS TRACKS “CLEAN SWEEP” AND “BRAMBLES,” PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED ON STREAMING SERVICES.
• RARITIES LP AND REPRESSES OF THE REMAINDER OF THE BAND’S MATADOR CATALOG TO BE ANNOUNCED LATER IN 2021
03. TANTRIC PORNO
05. THE HIGH FREQUENCY
06. SOMETIMES WORDS
07. CLEAN SWEEP
08. YELLOW TURBAN
10. BE A FISH
11. TAPIR SONG